Project Minima:

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Bounce Back-Ability

Yes, I have it on actually.

It's called Bounce Back.

My newly created Dress-Ability.

And I'm showing this baby off at Patti's Visible Monday, even though it's late Tuesday night.  But I just finished it in the nick of time for all my deadlines.  whoo-hoo.

I wanted to embroider a title for each dress I make in this way to embody it's meaning to me at the time.  When Jan of Fort Smith Stylista made a comment about my bouncing back, I knew that was it. (Thanks Jan!)  So...the wearer will be fortified with the ability inscribed on the dress.  Dress-Ability.  Yeah, I could use that.

More details after the break...

I'm so excited about making these new type of garments, I can't wait to start another.  I began with deconstructing an old turquoise top I had.  All the rest is made from fabric scraps and trims that were laying around.  I started from the top down and auditioned different fabrics and ways to attach or form them as I went.  I also hand-sewed the whole thing in big goofy stitches.    (Although I am wearing an old Hawaiian slip dress underneath for some added coverage.)  

Photos have to be submitted to the gallery for a catalog by tomorrow.  The exhibition will be at ARC Gallery in Chicago from Sept. 25 - Oct. 19.  Now I have to make another Dress-Ability for the opening (since this one will be in the show)!

I have oodles of close up shots of the Bounce Back Dress on my Clothes for Summer page.  Can't wait to be back in business at the bloggerhood.


15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you like it. I'm coming over to visit right now!

      Delete
  2. Wow - loving the layers, piecing, name, and super-powers! All best with the gallery submission and show, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. A dress with abilities. Now we're talking.

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhhh! What a 'Bounce Back!' It's wonderful to see you in all of your talented radiance once again. Loving that this beautiful creation will be in a gallery, where it belongs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee, where I won't be able to wear it for a month! Just the impetus I need to get going on another...

      Delete
  4. Pat--i absolutely LOVE this!! so positive, fun and inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you Tamera. Talk about some positive, fun and inspirational blogging!

      Delete
  5. Yeaaaaay! She's BAAAAAAACK ... and so much better looking than Jack Nicholson! And she's got legs! Knew you did, but you oughta show 'um off more often!
    What a cool concoction that dress is, Pao. Love what you did here, right down to the blue sunnies.
    Thank you for the shout-out. You're divine. And I'm so happy all has worked out well for everyone in your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved reading about your new-to-you clothes mix and matching along with the summer shopping ban.

      I think this new dress abillity thing is allowing me to stop buying patterns and/or fabric, not to mention clothes - be they new or thrifted. yea. Back to Project Minima's original intentions.

      Delete
  6. Awww!!! It's so lovely to see you back and in such wonderful style. The blue sandals are the perfect shoe match for such a magnificent dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I was doing during my long break was buying shoes on ebay, like non stop. Since I wasn't able to do any sewing or focus on anything while being so stressed out and all, I just glazed over with shoe searching. aiyiyi. But these particular sandals were from the paint-over-old-ones days.

      Delete
  7. I love the description of your process!! The result really is a work of art, a wearable sculpture if you will. I'm definitely going to try that when I have a moment at home. Of course, that might be awhile, but you're inspiring me and giving me hope on so many levels. XXXXOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think you already do that, Jean. The way you re-create clothes, especially those knits, is like Michelangelo releasing his marble statues. Not to mention how whatever pieces you put on together get art-ified. Talk about inspiring!

      Delete
  8. Fab dress! A real work of art.

    ReplyDelete