Project Minima:

Friday, March 7, 2014

The State of Project Minima: Year 3, Qtr. 3

A rite of passage, these last three months.  Only now have I realized I did all hand sewing during this time.  hmmm.  ahhh.  yes.  That's nice, just for 3 months - starting and then stopping without conscious thought - as my Mom slipped away. 

~ painting by Vilhelm Hammershoi ~

But right before this hand-sewing marathon...I received the blessings of the Traveling Yellow Skirt in the mail. You can read/ see all about this amazing week-long adventure starting with this post:  The Day the Yellow Skirt Came To Call.  I cannot express what a difference the TYS made in my life and my mom's at that time.



  • Anyway, what I made was mostly from fabric scraps.  Lots and lots of NECKLACES.  Some as gifts, one for Mom, and some just for me.  I was fascinated with using the tiniest scrap of fabric, making stitches to give it form, choosing colors, textures and shapes to go together.   You can see pictures of the gifted necklaces here.  And the other ones here.

  • I also made several FINGERLESS GLOVES out of larger bits of fabric scraps.  My first experiment that didn't come out to my liking, was well liked by Hollie of  Modern Colors, so off they went to their true home.  You can see all the gloves here.

  • HATS.  I don't usually wear them.  But you know, Judith of the Style Crone has raised our hat consciousness.  So I think about them now, when normally I wouldn't.  I made two.  Ahh, yes, that purple one that I made by Mom's bedside over the 3 days she lay dying.  sigh.  sigh.  sigh.  You can see the purple hat here.  And then I made another, a little more elaborate, black and dark gray with tiny black seed beads.  I like them both. 

  • My grand finale of the quarter was my grand flop:  the couture manure.  My designer COAT/ jacket completely hand-sewn and a mess.  If you really must, you can see it here.

Actually, I have put all these items in one place on my Clothes from Winter  page for one-stop looking.   Clicking on the "here" above takes you to the actual post & pictures about that item.  (Something for everyone!)

My total production, then for this 3rd quarter of this 3rd year is:  9 necklaces, 3 gloves, 2 hats and 1 jacket.

I also bought 1 pair of shoes/ boots from e-bay, some on-sale patterns from BMV club, and very on-sale fabric from Vogue Fabrics.





9 comments:

  1. Handsewing is best - an act of meditation. I've loved ALL the pieces you've shared with us.
    I am warmed more than I can express here knowing that the TYS was shared by you and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes it is. And thanks again for launching the TYS into the world.

      Delete
  2. Doing something with your hands is very soothing and just what you needed at the time. And I always wonder why so many people avoid the colour yellow. It's so light and bright and sunny and just brings joy into your heart! I'm glad TYS migrated to you at the exact right moment. So sad about the Couture Manure though. Sometimes life just throws us a wadder despite our best intentions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I wouldn't have originally picked up that yellow skirt off the racks - without knowing it's provenance. Interesting how that makes all the difference in a thing. And in terms of that other thing...Manure happens, right?

      Delete
  3. Your projects are so fantastic; just wonderful.
    Don't know if you've seen this, but it's nice:
    http://thisiwear.com/monthly-mend/sashiko/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out right now, thanks Gam Kau.

      Delete
  4. When my Mum dies i went overboard on patchwork, making those curtains you often see in the background. Sewing is so therapeutic and the results rarely matter, its concentrating your efforts into something other than thought and reflection most of the time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice to know, Vix. I can appreciate your beautiful patchwork curtains even more than ever now with your sharing of it's making.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that your sewing was meditative during the loss of your mother. I checked out your fingerless gloves! I could wear them every day if possible and I love the look of your creations.

    Thank you so much for sharing with Hat Attack! It warms my heart that the purple hat was created at your mother's bedside. I think of you often these days.

    ReplyDelete